Chrissy G

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

William Shakespeare

He is one of the most celebrated poets. I have always enjoyed reading his work in school. Just recently I stumbled on one of his poems and I was very impressed. To me this poem does not literally mean he wishes to suck what the bees suck, I believe William Shakespeare is imagining himself as a bee and how it's life would be like. He is not glorifying the bees life, in fact after reading this poem I would never want to be a bee!! Who would want to fly with bats or lie in a cowslip bell? Not me. After summer is fall, and there are no blossoms in fall so how could the bee live merrily under blossoms? This poem makes you think about what Shakespeare is trying to get at.

Where the Bee Sucks, There Suck I
by William Shakespeare

Where the bee sucks, there suck I:
In a cowslip's bell I lie;
There I couch when owls do cry.
On the bat's back I do fly
After summer merrily.
Merrily, merrily shall I live now
Under the blossom that hangs on the bough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home